Sunday, November 28, 2010

Fall in Belgium and Switzerland

Last time I wrote about my travel adventures I was still in Asia. On
September 16th, 2010 I arrived in the land of chocolate, Belgium.
Waiting with a big hug and a new orange car was my good friend,
Celine. It has been a year and a half since we last saw each other in
Canada and yet it was like no time had passed at all. She made me feel
right at home in her beautiful place. Together we traveled to Brussels
to visit her friends Henk and Julie. Riding yellow co-op bikes and
eating french fries were highlights for me. Julie and I also went to
see a black and white movie accompanied only by a pianist.

Celine and I traveled North to Belgium's only shoreline for the
weekend. There was a beautiful stretch of white beach with many people
relaxing and taking in the last rays of autumn sunshine. Shell fish
are a specialty in the area, Celine and I treated ourselves to a fancy
dinner. During the month I had a chance to meet most of Celine's
family, all lovely people. I biked around the country side, bought a
new wardrobe and heard an elks mating call. After a wonderful month it
was time to catch the train South to Switzerland where Reto was
waiting.

First meal on Celine's deck

Orval beer made by local monks, mmmmmm

Relaxing in the sun on Belgium's North shoreline

Seafood anyone??

Belgian countryside

Freaky red mushrooms in the forest near Celine's home

Unfortunately a train strike in France meant my straight forward, one
transfer trip to Brugg became a detour involving two trains and a bus
ride. Fortunately there was another girl in the same predicament and
she spoke French as well as German. She also taught me several Swiss
German phrases I needed to greet Reto and his friends in the coming
months. When we finally arrived Reto was there with open arms. It was
really great to see him after a month apart.

Retos apartment is conveniently located just a block from the train
station. When he opened the door it was like arriving home. He has the
sweetest third floor apartment. It is not big but has all the
essentials. Its peaked ceiling finished in wood panel reminded me of a
Swiss skiing chalet. The best part of the apartment is the view of the
passing trains. It is like having the world biggest train set just
past the window.

I quickly learned that Reto is a bit of a social butterfly. He likes
to provide select friends with lunch meals and there is always someone
floating in to say hello or have a drink.

Reto and I spent the next month and a half in Switzerland before
deciding to travel back to the Philippines. During this time we
attended several parties, traveled by train to Zurich for shopping
excursions, took plenty of river walks, bought absinthe directly from
the distillery and cooked some fabulous food.


Autumn day in Zurich

Visit to the Absinthe distillery

Absinthe distillery

Walking in the forest of Brugg

Party Italian style at Francos (yes that is an industrial meat cutter)


Halloween party with real pumpkin soup

Did I mention Italian do not mess around

Seafood for everyone!


Party till your stuffed

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One could also argue that Switzerland is the land of chocolate. ;) I'm sure you loved them both!

Miss you heaps!
Jenn

Unknown said...

I am enjoying your blogging. More please! Hope it is all you hoped for.